10 Things I've Learned Since Becoming a Mum


1. I can do anything


It's easy to get overwhelmed when you first have a baby. I second guessed everything. I was kind of a wreck.

Am I going up and down the curb right with this pushchair? Can I get on the bus with a pram? Will I be able to feed him on the train? Is he safe enough if I walk him in this sling?

Then I remembered. I gave birth to him. I endured that pain. I brought him here. I can do anything. And it's true. New mums, curbs are easy-  YOU CAN DO ANYTHING. 

2. I am so in love


My friend told me that she would look at her baby son sometimes and start crying because she couldn't believe she had made him. I didn't understand then. I do now. I am so in love. I did not think it possible. 

3. I am not the most important person in the world


It's not that I consciously used to think I was, just that when it's you pleasing yourself, doing what you like when you like it's kind of just the way it is. You are your agenda, then it all changes and that is incredibly, incredibly humbling. 

4. It's the little things that matter


I have to say I really wasn't someone to take joy in the colour of the leaves in autumn, or the variety of birds in the back yard. I was all about the stresses and strains of the day ahead. What deadlines I had to meet and what things I needed to get to make me happy. That's changed a little recently. 

Perhaps it's just the maternity leave, but I feel as though I can take pleasure in much simpler things these days. Like the countryside. Walking. Breathing the fresh air. Music. Drawing. Reflecting. Smiling. I guess we have to show them everything for the first time. What a mirror is. What a cup is. What trees are and cows.  It gives you perspective, showing a new person the world. 

5. They're not that scary 


I was terrified of babies. How do you even begin to dress a newborn baby? But it's really not that bad. They are way more pliable than you first think.

6.They make Christmas time fun again


Christmas was getting a little... monotonous. All the kids in the family had grown up and it was all getting a little bit 'done'. Along came Harry and suddenly we've all got advent calendars again. Mint.

7. They give you an excuse to watch old cartoons


We've so far revisited Bananaman, Danger Mouse, Trap Door, Stop It and Tidy Up, Count Duckula and Super Ted. Our generation was truly spoilt. 

8.That having your own sleep agenda was an absolute privilege


It really, really is.


9. That nothing is the same as it was before, and that's okay

Maybe it's just me, but I feel as though everything has changed in my world. I can't wake up and be pissed off any more just because I feel like it. I have to be happy for someone else so I don't upset them or make them scared with my miserable face. I mean, if that's what having a baby has done for me, then that's most definitely, totally okay.

10. That I would do anything for him


It's as simple as that

Kathy 
xx

Comments

Popular Posts